Sunday, July 24, 2011

How to fix broken eyeshadows

One of my greatest fears with make up - second only to getting allergic reactions from an expensive product that I can't return - is breaking them. Who'd want to break something they'd spent hard-earned money on?? So I really try to do my best to not drop anything or wrap make up with extra padding if I know they're going to get tossed around while in transit. My recent plane trips were no exception. Since planes have a limit on the liquid products that can be hand carried, I decided to just put everything in my check-in luggage since they can be sandwiched in between layers of tightly packed clothing. There weren't any mishaps on the way to the places I went to, so imagine my dismay when I found this when I got back home:


I thought I was sure that I packed my stuff properly, but since this happened, its possible that there were gaps in between the makeup and clothes. I read somewhere that vibrations due to the plane engines are a lot stronger in the luggage area, so this is what can cause pressed powder products to crack if they are not packed properly with padding.

Good thing that it wasn't a glass product that broke, since broken eye shadows can still be fixed!


HOW to fix broken eye shadows

You will need:

A piece of clean cloth with a nice texture


An atomizer with rubbing alcohol (70% isopropyl works fine)


A spatula (if your eye shadow is not in a single pan by itself)


A coin the same size as your eyeshadow (for round pans only); or any other hard object with a flat end that is the same size and shape as your eye shadow pan.

Tissue (optional)

How to do it:

1. Using the spatula, move the bits of broken of eye shadow that got transferred to other parts of the container back to the pan where it should be. This is most helpful if the eye shadow that broke is in a palette or is beside other pans (a trio in my case). For single eye shadows, you can also use it to rearrange the eye shadow parts into the pan like puzzle pieces.

2. I used the tissue to cover the non-broken eye shadows. Do this only if your broken eye shadow is right next to other eye shadows. Find out why on the next step!



3. Using your atomizer, spritz your alcohol  on top of the rearranged eye shadow bits. Make sure to spray it at least 6-8 inches away from the pan to avoid getting big drops of liquid on the eye shadow. Spraying alcohol on powder products can disinfect it, but too much can dry them out. I like covering the eye shadow pans that don't need extra disinfection to avoid drying them out and making them chalky upon application.

4. If you have a round eye shadow pan, this is the time to wrap a coin (the same size as the pan) with your clean cloth. Press your right thumb (if you're right handed, and vice versa) against the coin and hold the excess cloth in your hand. Then with the coin against your thumb, and with the cloth taut from being pulled back by the extra cloth in your hand, apply pressure over the broken eyeshadow to flatten it completely. Since my eye shadow pan was triangular and I wasn't able to find an object I can use to press the eye shadow, I just used my thumb. The cloth with the nice texture is used to help transfer this same texture while the eye shadow is being pressed.

And then you're finished! Mine's not that pretty (haha) 'cos I couldn't find a suitable presser for my weirdly shaped eye shadow pans, but at least it's not broken anymore!


 'Til the next post, see you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Ads

There was an error in this gadget